The equivalent weight of 1.5 billion people in fish is taken from the sea each year
What does this mean for the ecosystem and the creatures that live there?
90% of all big fish populations have been decimated
– Thousands of fishing ships, using fuel subsidised by their governments, are at work 24/7/365 fishing for marine wildlife
– They tranship much of what they catch so there is little accountability
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
This is legal under current international law.
For the first time we are taking action via civil courts for each nation to demand it does more to protect the ocean and its natural resources- starting with Argentina and Ecuador but snowballing to all nations who are not taking adequate precautionary measures to protect their natural heritage for their peoples.
– Protect their marine ecosystems
– Take the lead to protect their artisanal fisheries
– Challenge the international status quo