We are taking civil action in the Supreme Courts of Argentina and Ecuador to pressure them to do MORE to protect their sovereign ocean resources from:
- Shark finning
- Bottom trawling
- Illegal, unreported, or unregulated (IUU) fishing
- Incursions into their protected waters
- Human rights abuses.
WHAT IS BEING ASKED?
- Governments to defend their waters for their civilian artisanal fishermen
- Call out nations that are causing extreme damage to ocean biodiversity
- For all to stand up and speak out for the Ocean – our collective heritage and our future
- We are NOT asking for money
- Currently it is legal to vacuum squid and other marine life off the coast 24/7/365
- Unfortunately, there is plenty of illegal fishing as well
- Fishing fleets come from nations far away and can stay all year round because their governments subsidise them
- The current legal system is slow and unwieldy. By the time the laws are in place, the species or ocean they are trying to protect have disappeared!
- France was just been found guilty for not doing enough to prevent climate change via a civilian legal case. Time for this precedent to be repeated!